Roivios™ is a clinical-stage medical device company striving to reduce or eliminate acute kidney injury (AKI).
We’re initially focused on providing a first-to-market solution to address the underlying causes of cardiac surgery associated-acute kidney injury (CSA-AKI).
Cardiac Surgery Associated-Acute Kidney Injury (CSA-AKI)
Renal Insufficiency Meets Stress
Poor Outcomes for CSA-AKI Patients
When the kidneys fail, the patient fails.
Acute kidney injury (AKI) in patients with CKD has significant impact on patients and care systems.
*Compared to patients with normal eGFR, patients with CKD 4 (<30) have 55x the incidence of dialysis (10.9% vs 0.2%).
Supercharging the kidneys
At Roivios, we believe enhancing the natural intra-renal pressures with mild, targeted negative pressure will enable optimal kidney function and improve patient outcomes.
And, we’re on a mission to prove it.
The JuxtaFlow® Renal Assist Device (RAD)
Roivios is developing a first-of-its-kind treatment designed to prevent AKI in patients undergoing cardiac surgery with pre-existing renal insufficiency.
- Bowdish ME, D’Agostino RS, Thourani VH, et al. STS Adult Cardiac Surgery Database: 2021 Update on Outcomes, Quality, and Research. Ann Thorac Surg. 2021;111(6):1770-1780.
- Robert AM, Kramer RS, Dacey LJ, et al. Cardiac surgery-associated acute kidney injury: a comparison of two consensus criteria. Ann Thorac Surg. 2010;90(6):1939-1943.
- Palomba H, de Castro I, Neto AL, Lage S, Yu L. Acute kidney injury prediction following elective cardiac surgery: AKICS Score. Kidney Int. 2007;72(5):624-631.
- Brown JR, Kramer RS, Coca SG, Parikh CR. Duration of acute kidney injury impacts long-term survival after cardiac surgery. Ann Thorac Surg. 2010;90(4):1142-1148.
- Shen W, Aguilar R, Montero AR, et al. Acute Kidney Injury and In-Hospital Mortality after Coronary Artery Bypass Graft versus Percutaneous Coronary Intervention: A Nationwide Study. Am J Nephrol. 2017;45(3):217-225.
- LaPar DJ, Rich JB, Isbell JM, et al. Preoperative Renal Function Predicts Hospital Costs and Length of Stay in Coronary Artery Bypass Grafting. Ann Thorac Surg. 2016;101(2):606-612.
- HCUPnet, Healthcare Cost and Utilization Project. Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, Rockville, MD. https://datatools.ahrq.gov/hcupnet.
- Hobson C, Ozrazgat-Baslanti T, Kuxhausen A, et al. Cost and Mortality Associated With Postoperative Acute Kidney Injury. Ann Surg. 2015;261(6):1207-1214.
- Cooper WA, O’Brien SM, Thourani VH, et al. Impact of renal dysfunction on outcomes of coronary artery bypass surgery: results from the Society of Thoracic Surgeons National Adult Cardiac Database. Circulation. 2006;113(8):1063-1070.
- Griffin BR, Bronsert M, Reece TB, et al. Creatinine elevations from baseline at the time of cardiac surgery are associated with postoperative complications. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2022;163(4):1378-1387.